Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Hey, Joe- Where ya goin with that (soldering) gun in your hand?





Mentioned my friend Joe a few times, well kept repair guy secret in Rochester. Used to do the service work for most of the dealers in the area  when they were open.

He started many years ago with with a retail shop in Geneva, NY with his brother in law John W.  (whom I worked with at JB). Remember helping them out when they needed a Yamaha receiver or whatever back then. Knew John first.

 John grew state of the art reefer as a hobby, gave me a bud in a baby food jar 26 years ago that looked like a centerfold for High Times magazine!
And, well- that is not really what this blog is about. Suffice it to say- I was pretty impressed 26 years ago with John.

  Anyway, Joe made me promise not to use his last name, the name of his business, phone number,email, or GPS coordinates. Says he has all the business he can handle!

 I know, he has had a Dayton Wright SPA preamp of mine for about two years now. He is the kind of guy who when he sets his mind to something refuses to give up. Power supply problems, buzzing, humming. I gave him my input, "It is humming because it doesn't know the words!"  Didn't seem to help. Still has it.

  Not much he can't fix, tube amp expert, and someone that truly appreciates quality vintage equipment. Got my Ming Da amps running when they showed up from China DOA.

  He currently shares office space with his wife Judy, who runs a successful cruise travel agency. The other problem is that they win so many free cruises that you can go weeks without talking to him. "Drop off the blown Advent in two weeks, we're going to Luxemburg".

 Apologize in advance for the blurry pictures, got a little sneaky with the Iphone there today. He doesn't know exactly what I am doing here. Think he needs more space? Give me your input. Some of this is repairs, some equipment he owns, some he is selling. He has sold stuff for me in the past. One of the best "goto" guys in Rochester. For $100, I will sell him out. He can fix Tandberg, B+O, older Levinson. I will give you his phone number, and he will never speak to me again. Worth it, he still has my Dayton Wright preamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment