Monday, October 22, 2012

My various incarnations of home brew speakers





Over the past few years the putterer in me has surfaced, and I have played with building a few high efficiency horn designs. I have been mainly inspired by the German Avant Gardes, of course I can't afford them.

 The top three photos are one of my most recent efforts, a Fostex FE 208  full range 7'' driver with banana pulp paper and Planet 10 phase plugs mounted in a 24'' Atlas stadium horn. I recently swapped the Fostex out for some older full range JBL alnicos, the model number escapes me at the moment.

A lady that I worked for gave me the metal racks, actually for clothing displays in her accessory store. The top arms came right out, and these ended up looking pretty cool. The black backs are actually waste baskets! I obviously used these with a sub. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.........

  The bottom four pictures kind of started the whole thing, a pair of fibreglass planters from Home Depot that I painted and mounted some Altec  compression drivers on the back of. These are sitting on Altec Santana cabinets with JBL professional 15s, again the model number escapes me. An Apt 80 tweeter also mounted in the cabinet added sparkle. Eventually I mounted the Fostex drivers in these, and the whole system was biamped. Triodes on the tops, Chiro on the bottoms, professional two way crossover. this sounded very powerful, and was quite flexible.

   The problem was I couldn't stop fidgeting with it! Every record I changed the levels just a little, raised or lowered the crossover point by a few hz, just could never leave it alone!


I still have all or most of this stuff laying around if I ever want to pick up where I left off. Sound like Avant Gardes? Probably not, I have never heard them.


    Like I said, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.........

No comments:

Post a Comment