Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Current dealers in the Rochester area

There are actually a couple of bricks and mortar stores that are still functioning after several years, their business models may have changed somewhat, but good that the quality audio gear has not completely disappeared from the Rochester marketplace!

There are also a few manufacturers still in the area,  respected names in even the most elite circles. I consider them each worth addressing individually, and will go into a little more detail than I did with with the now defunct dealers.

                                                             ROWE AUDIO VIDEO



Rowe Photo, as they are technically known are a B&W, McIntosh, Klipsch, Anthem, Paradigm, Rotel, and Yamaha dealer as well as many other brands. They recently picked up the Sumiko Project line of turntables (god bless them), and have been a haven for used gear over the years.

Ebay and Audiogon have dramatically changed the market for used gear, and the local inventories reflect that. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective) other states or countries are willing to pay much more for quality used gear than we are. 

I can remember buying Apogee Duetta Signatures, Quad ESL63's, Mirage M3s, Aragon power amps,Quicksilver tube amps, and most recently my Mac Mc275  MkV from there.

A couple of seasoned audio professionals still work there, including my good friend Rich Ciaraldi who worked with me at JB Sound. 

Richard Rowe is a gentleman, and the lastest generation to run this family business. A few years ago he grew the store from one to three, butting heads with the big box stores.

  Interesting that photography and audio took a similar swing, with digital and simplified audio systems the household norm currently.

They found a niche a few years back with laser discs, A rental library of such and I will admit I was a willing participant. I still have over 400 laser discs today, and unlike my Beta tapes I still use them.

  They also popularized the LCD front projector, and I bought no fewer than a half dozen Sharps and others from them over the years.

  In the used heyday I was there probably an average of three days a week, afraid of missing something if I didn't show up.  Asked Rich, "Is there anything in the back that you are getting ready to bring out?"

Glad they are still around, and I would recommend them to anybody.



  The Analog Shop


Bob Lietz has been a friend for years, and I worked with him at JB. I always gave him credit for having the guts to step out from JB and start his own shop. He has been very successful , and has been open in the village of Victor for almost 20. He has had some pretty impressive stuff, and I give him credit as well for helping to keep analog alive when it became almost extinct in the '80s. 

He currently sells Linn, SME, Rega, Project, CAT, Sonus Faber, EAR, and can special order many more high quality products.

No comments:

Post a Comment