Friday, February 10, 2012

Turntables, turntables, and more turntables


Ahh! Now we are getting to the heart of the matter. Very close to heart. I am now officially laughing at most of the rest of the world for scoffing at me. Anti digital in 1985, I was misquoted in the local Democrat and Chronicle as saying "CD players will never replace conventional models", price related. Journalism sensationalism, what I really said was CD players truly suck and I would rather drink goat pee! Funny they never quoted me verbatim. (Just kidding.) I actually talked people out of buying CD players back then, they all looked at me funny. Convenience sold. All sorts of technical reasons why they sounded worse,nobody was interested in hearing about it, and now today almost every serious music lover  realizes the truth. BWAH HA HA HA HA HA! The only problem is vinyl prices have skyrocketed! Have you priced a used copy of the Carpenters at the local thrift store lately? Three dollars! Outrageous! Seriously, a new release could cost you between $20- $30. In all fairness, the quality is there. The vinyl is better, thicker,the artwork is better and the recordings themselves generally first rate. The price is just forcing us to be a little more selective about what we buy. Before I embark on this rather lengthy pictorial about the different turntables, a quick snapshot of my record collection. A woman once said  to me "you can only play one at a time!" I asked her how many pairs of shoes she had..........

No comments:

Post a Comment