Sunday, February 19, 2012

Micro Seiki





If there is any one turntable I wish I had kept, it would be a Micro Seiki RX-1500FVG. If nothing else, it has tripled in value! There were basically three versions of this, the table with and without vacuum, and an air bearing version. The vacuum was so strong you couldn't pull the record off five minutes after you shut it off! All were "thread drive", which meant you could use whatever you wanted as a belt.

All had a huge brass platter and weighed a ton! They could accommodate up to three tonearms with the optional arm boards. Mine had two. Cool because you could compare arms and cartridges on the same table! MM cart on one, MC on the other.

The motor unit was separate but could be conjoined with the base. Most people didn't, preferring to spread them out. I liked using unwaxed dental floss for the belt  the best.

There were numerous Micros in Japan that never were imported, RX-5000, etc. Many cheaper direct drive units were brought in. I had a DD20 when I was in my early 20's. The better ones command a huge price today.

 My 1500 actually had feedback problems near my sub woofer, something that the suspended tables never had a problem with.

1 comment:

  1. if you ever get problems with the drive motor, then look at this website:
    http://www.micro-seiki.nl/turntable/motorunit-av.html
    A brand new high tech motor unit with latest technologie.
    kind regards, Rainer

    ReplyDelete