Sunday, November 4, 2012

Speaking of speaker spikes

Or had I spoke, spat, spit, in spades?

 In the early eighties a guy by the name of Steve McCormick of Mod Squad invented an aluminum cone known as the "Tip Toe". These were quite radical in their day, causing many an audiophile to scratch their head. At $5 each, these were not cheap in early eighties dollars, I must confess to being an early adopter based on the way they looked under components. Tip Toes went rampant, there were dedicated threaded versions for specific components like Sota turntables, and of course the other Mod Squad components like the Phono Drive, Line Drive, etc.  The imitators soon came, Sumiko Counter Feet (joke intended? A blatant attempt by a Japanese company to rip off an American one?) Today, just about everyone including Parts Express offers their own version of these. They have been placed under everything from turntables to speakers, not convinced they make anything sound better, but again I like the way they look.

 Some of the companies that actually made some headway in improving the original Tip Toe design would include Black Diamond Racing (high tech carbon fibre resonance analysis with all of their products) and German Physics tone cones , a combination cone/spike used on many high end speakers throughout the '80s. as oem equipment. I could probaly mention 100 other cone/spike manufacturers in existence today, but I won't. Need to hold your attention span. But anyway, official credit goes to Steve McCormick  for starting it all with the Tip Toe.

10 comments:

  1. I must confess to being an early adopter based on the way they looked under components. Tip Toes went rampant, there were dedicated threaded versions for specific components like Sota turntables, and of course the other Mod Squad components like the Phono Drive, Line Drive, etc. sahibinden müzik sistemi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been using a set of tip toes for decades under my jbl 250's.GREAT. I lost a set/moving NEED a set. Where can I buy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. 新竹音響店推薦

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your this post while searching for information about blog-related research ... It's a good post .. keep posting and updating information. 家庭劇院

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me. Well this article that i’ve been waited for so long. I need this article to complete my assignment in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, great share. 擴大機

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing this great blog.Very inspiring and helpful too.Hope you continue to share more of your ideas.I will definitely love to read. ดูหนังออนไลน์ฟรี

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this quality information with us. I really enjoyed reading. Will surely going to share this URL with my friends. 音響店推薦

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello!! Very interesting discussion glad that I came across such informative post. Keep up the good work friend. Glad to be part of your net community. 新竹音響店

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. ziareonline24.ro

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me. 音響店推薦

    ReplyDelete