Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Another local Craigslist idiot


 Maybe I am old fashioned, but when I contact someone in a classified ad I am fairly serious, have done some research, know what I want, what it should be worth, blah blah blah.


             This dude emails me about a nice little pair of KEF monitors I have listed,  wants to come see and hear them. My response is usually pretty generic, if you are coming to buy them, I will pull them out and hook them up.

  Too many times in the past I have been treated like a dealer's showroom. No, I am not here for your evaluations. Not interested in what you  don't like about it/them.

 No, you can't bring your amp over to hook up to see how it sounds. Much as I love this hobby, I price things to sell, and resent all the extra work. If I buy something and later decide I don't like it, I resell it.I research it carefully enough that I am willing to take that risk. I never abuse the seller.


  So the dude shows up, (mind you I am a little under the weather  from meds and didn't want to do this today anyway) , listens, hems, haws, and makes me a ridiculous offer. After stating that I have lowered the price on these twice on CL, we strike a deal for $140. for the pair . Cheap, but as I mentioned earlier I am clearing stuff out I don't use anymore. He hands me the money, takes the speakers, and calls me a couple of hours later. "Can I bring these back?" What??  All of a sudden he is critical of the midrange and says they smell like cat, he is allergic. Now, mind you the cats walked in front of him about 8 times when he was here! All of a sudden he mentions he is allergic! My stuff is generally not in the same room as the cats anyway.

                 DUDE! THESE WERE $140!  What is wrong with people? Guessing he wasted about $20. in gas.So petty! Gave him his money back,he apparently needs it, even though he pulled up in a brand new loaded Nissan.

He should go to Best Buy and see what he gets for $140.

   As I have said here in the past, anything over $100. on Craigslist I generally end up shipping out of state. A few exceptions, but for the most part I am extremely wary of the locals.

No comments:

Post a Comment