Thursday, June 21, 2012

Cartridge synopsis: my favorites

For the most part I prefer the low output moving coils, with a few exceptions. The Dynavectors being my first choice, I also was fortunate to purchase a new old stock GAS (Great American Sound) Sleeping Beauty a few years ago.  The Denon 103s have also been faithful standbys, primarily the D and the S. The regular 103 (conical) is still offered   today at a very reasonable- $229. from several sources. As mentioned earlier in this blog, a company called ZU modifies these extensively for big improvements at a still modest price.  Again, you may need an additional step up device for these, many modern preamps had this built in. I am currently using a Dayton Wright DW 535 that I was luck enough to find in mint condition on


Ebay. More step up recommendations later.......


   The Goldbug Ms. Brier pictured above is probably my biggest oooops! Broke the cantilever taking it out of a cartridge keeper.This was an offshoot of Koetsu, designed by Mr. Sugano, the same man.The body was carved from a single block of  brier wood. Sounded great what few times I used it before I busted it.......


 Moving magnets- I preferred the Shure V15 VMR and the Grace F9, Ruby, L, E, etc. Older Sonus, american made ADCs, and other cartridges were cool as well.


   Moving iron, definetly the B&O MMC series and the Grados.

  If I had to recommend a budget cartridge to somebody today trying to restore their vinyl capabilities it would probably be the Shure M97. For around $50. on Amazon, you can't go wrong! This has many of the same attributes as the older (now discontinued) V15.

No comments:

Post a Comment