Sunday, April 22, 2012

Dahlquist

These had me more excited than just about any other speaker when I was in my mid 20's. Think I owned the DQ-10's off and again about four times. Even had two pair stacked once (not an easy feat).

A top seller at JB, I loved these. Jon Dahlquist was an aerospace engineer for NASA, and his hobby was loudspeakers.The DQ-10 earned several patents, minimal diffraction, time alignment, phased array, what have you. Several modifications came along for these, mine were always stock.

  These speakers actually inspired Saul Marantz to come out of retirement and represent the company.


 Horrendous Motorola Piezo on the top registers that people blamed for being too bright. It was actually the regular tweeter that was screaming. Philips midrange and Advent woofer, these resulted in a very distinct sound.


 Extremely power hungry, you needed at least 200 watts to do them justice.Think I used a Dynaco Stereo 400.  The DQ-1W was one of the first commercially successful subwoofers to come along, also used by many with Magnepans.  I used M&K subs (2) along with the DQ-LP1 Dahlquist electronic crossover.


     Dahlquist also introduced a monitor series, DQM-7 and 9, using German made Magnat drivers. Sort of a refined JBL, I still have a pair of DQM-9 compacts.


No comments:

Post a Comment