Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Mordecai B. Lipshutz (1949-2014)



On Sunday March 9th Rochester lost another part of its great musical heritage,former WXXI music host  Mordecai  Lipshutz.


"We are saddened to hear the news of Mordecai, who was the voice of classical music in Rochester for more than 30 years," said WXXI President Norm Silverstein in the statement announcing Lipshutz's death. "His soothing voice, incredible knowledge of Classical music, and his music selections – made him everyone's favorite afternoon drive home companion."

 I can remember tuning into his show when I wanted to seriously evaluate an FM tuner, between the engineering and the quiet,quality  signal WXXI definitely did classical music justice in Rochester.


I can also remember  Mordecai as a customer at JB, he would bring in his personal McIntosh tuner for servicing, and he also had one of the original Linn LP 12 tables. I believe it had an SME arm, I can't remember for sure. Interesting enough, I seem to remember him having the same disdain for digital sound as I when it first came out. Digital was predominately classical music initially.


 He would often show up for the clinics, I remember a Denon tape clinic specifically, we had a huge turnout, cleaned and demagnetized decks, and gave a free sample Denon blank cassette. Mordecai came by near the end of the day and proceeded to talk my ears off! I think he sensed I was tired, but anyway I certainly remember him as being one of the more colorful characters  I have known in the industry.
 He will be sadly missed.
Mordecai B. Lipshutz

Mordecai B. Lipshutz
         
Mordecai B. Lipshutz
Mordecai B. Lipshutz
Mordecai B. Lipshutz

No comments:

Post a Comment