Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sonab


My absolute favorite cult speakers, Stig Carlsen was at one point committed to a Swedish insane asylum. Not sure whether it was before of after he designed these. The OA-14, pretty much the middle of the line pictured here,one of the models, I still have a couple of pairs today. One pair mint,fully restored, one not so mint.They all need refoaming, Peerless drivers including alnico magnet woofers and tweeters, the various models added multiples of these as you moved up the line. Real rosewood, high tech ABS tuned labyrinth enclosures underneath. Designed to be placed against the back wall, kind of went right where Bose went wrong, reflected just the highs instead of the full range.

1 comment:

  1. I recently resurrected a pair of od11 speakers. I bought a pair of them in Rochester around 1978, but those were stolen in 1980. Finally in July 2018, I bought a pair that seemed to be only needing re-foaming from a California owner, but that is a long story. It ends with a beautifully restored pair of speakers complete with four Sonab logo name plates created to the correct size and font via my 3d printer. They sound amazing, just as I remembered. Did I buy the originals OD11's at your shop per chance?

    John

    ReplyDelete