Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Amazing Bob Carver

I have always been fascinated by Bob Carver, very enterprising and marketing surpassed by only Amar Bose! My first power amp as a teenager was the Phase Linear 400, used it with a Marantz 3300. I bought the combination from a guy downtown.

Tried a couple of the Sunfire products, this Theatre Grand and also the five channel Cinema Grand. The amp leaked DC on one of the rear channels and this was the last time I actually blew a driver in a speaker! Curious little shock every time I made a change in my system, finally tracked it down to the amp which the factory confirmed that they inverted polarity!  

Carver Amazing Loudspeakers

Had to show these right next to the Apogees. Much nicer cosmetics, much glossier,actually bought these unseen/unheard. Onkyo rep at the time got me a pair on accomodation. Bob Carver was famous for his marketing snafus, and I have to admit these impressed me! One of the most resourceful designers I knew of. Resale worth about one tenth of the Apogees, but I had fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment